In a rare condition the piriformis muscle compresses the Sciatic nerve, causing pain in the buttocks and lower limbs along the path of the Sciatic nerve.
The primary symptom is sciatica type pain in the buttock and the legs. Additional symptoms may involve,
- Dull ache or pain in the buttock
- Pain that increases when sitting for prolonged periods
- Pain that affects just one side of the body
- Pain that is relieved by walking with the foot on the affected side pointing outward
- Pain that gets worse with physical activity
- Tingling or numbness along the back of the leg